Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Blessing of Menu Planning



We love to cook and we LOVE to eat!!  We have planned out our weekly menu for years now.  As our family has grown it has become more and more of a blessing.  With 10 bellys to fill 3 times a day that is 30 plates of food to serve each day!  It is so simple for our oldest daughters to refer to the menu posted on our fridge and be able to either get things started or make the entire meal if need be.  We almost always have tacos on Tuesday (whether it be chicken, beef, or lentil), breakfast for supper on Wednesday, homemade pizza on Friday, and a big pancake breakfast on Saturday for brunch.  It makes things so easy to use what you have on hand and create your menu around it and then to pick a few things up at the store when we go into town.  It saves us so much money.  Right now we are eating tons of our meals right out of our huge garden!  We travel once a month to Woodman's Market that is about 1 hour from us and stock up on many things.  We also go to Costco that is about 1 1/2 hours away every 6 weeks.  We fill in the gaps with the Amish bulk store and also order organic staples in bulk quanities from Country Life.  The few times that we have failed to menu plan I always regret it.


My oldest daughter created this menu for our family.



                                       
                               Even little ones LOVE to be a part of meal prep!

                              


1 comment:

  1. Being in your home a few weekends ago reminded me to get back to menu planning as I saw your menu on your fridge. I used to plan menus but stopped and like you said, it does complicates things. Being the perfectionist that I am, I kept having to change the menu around due to various circumstances that I hadn't thought of when I made the menu and decided to stop doing one as it was too frustrating.

    I actually did a menu this past week (I'm learning to do battle with my perfectionism!) and it's helped free up my thinking during the day--even though I had to switch things around once again. I like the idea of having the same meal on certain days of the week so everyone knows what to expect. Thanks for this great reminder. It does save time, money and brain energy.

    ReplyDelete